Friday, October 10, 2014

Five Years: Choosing Love

Feels like just yesterday, but somehow here we are at our five year anniversary...feels so weird that it was 5 years ago today that J + I walked down the aisle individually with our parents and then back down the aisle together, as one (with me holding up my dress after my straps broke during the ceremony...true story). We'd almost been together for 5 years before we said our vows and I suppose that time flew by too. 

Looking at these photos makes me so happy - small glimpses into the most joyous day; however, it was just a day. The true beauty of a marriage is every other day, when you aren't dressed up and celebrating with everyone you love. I recently read this article about how love is a choice and how insignificant the small spats and grudges would seem if your partner was suddenly taken away from you. There are even 30 ways to love in action that are simple, but profound.

"Love is a choice, not a feeling or an emotion. It’s a decision you make every day of your life. Even when your mate doesn’t take out the trash, or spends too much time at the mall, or when your new haircut or outfit goes unnoticed, or when poor financial decisions set you back—you can still decide to love.
Love is for better or worse. And when you choose not to love, you’ve given up and given in."
I am so thankful that we chose each other 10 years ago and that we continue to chose love. 
Marriage is work and sharing your life with someone isn't always easy, but I hope to love in action and be the best version of myself, so that I can in turn, love entirely.

In the meantime, I'll relish in remembering this day and the overwhelming love and dreams that surrounded us. I look forward to all of the days and love that will follow...
 I love you, J. Thank you for always lifting me up and for being my best friend!
I can't wait to celebrate with you!
Happy anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...